Friday, February 21, 2014

Love Bears All Things....

The book of Hosea has never had the reputation for being the happiest or most encouraging book of the Bible, but there is a wonderful example of love at the beginning of this book that I really love. The first two verses of Hosea present a story that rips out your heart and makes you sympathize with the main character. The story of Hosea is about a man who was told, by God, to go and marry a prostitute and have children. Hosea, a Godly man, did as the Lord told him and he and his wife had many children. God told Hosea that the purpose of his marriage and the birth and names of his children were to be an example of what the nation of Israel had become, sinful.

You're probably wondering where I'm going with this, what does marrying a prostitute have to do with love? This past week in my prayer group we have been talking a lot about God's love for us. One of the girls made an incredible point about the story in Hosea and our individual relationships with God.

As a fallen sinner, I am just like a prostitute in my relationship with God. No matter how hard I try I am constantly tempted and enticed by sin, and there are times where I choose to turn from God and do whatever I want to do. Yet, every time that I choose to wrong over right God opens up His arms and forgives me and welcomes me home and still loves me unconditionally.

Hosea had to marry into a difficult situation. He had to marry a woman who lived a life of sin and he never knew for sure that she would never leave him for another man or never cheat on him. Yet, Hosea chose to love her and their children despite everything. God loves us in the same way.

The story of Hosea gives us a clear picture of love bearing all things. Bearing the pain, bearing the sadness, but also bearing the joy of a relationship that will never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment